Monday, January 30, 2012

OCBC Training Camp - 27th Jan 2012 to 5th Feb 2012: Part 3

Training Camp Day 3 - 30th Jan 2012, Monday

After yesterday's bashing session, today was suppose to be 4 hours of steady pace/easy ride. We have 2 new riders who join us last night; Nick Squillari (our new Australian counterpart) and our very own Dinah Chan.

As usual, Vincent and I would head out earlier for our usual spin before training ride. Today we did a little less, just about 1.5 hours easy. Vincent's legs were feeling abit heavy, which could be due to the fact that he puked last evening and that might have affected his recovery. Nonetheless, he carried on the ride like he always does. Strong man indeed!

We regrouped and set out for our scheduled training ride at about 8am. It was nice good weather and we were going out easy, nice flat roads to begin with. As soon as we hit the more rural area of Chiangmai, the roads start to head up. Not just up, but long and steep undulating terrain that never ends.

After 2 hours, everyone was feeling it. We declared that this was the hardest easy ride we ever had, and will ever do. We pushed on and kept going. There were some nice descends along the way too, unfortunately, I went down hard on one of them. I crashed and was knocked unconscious for about 3 minutes. Apparently, my head hit the road barricade and my helmet broke. Thanks to our sponsor RUDY PROJECT for saving my life.

In the end, I was taken to hospital for CT scan, X rays and I was cleared. Some physical lesions on the usual hip, shoulder and yes, my elbow had 7 stitches. Thank God I am okay. Bike was not too beaten up. Handlebar slanted, derailleur hanger bent, shifters knocked out of place, front wheel gone and cleats flew out! I fixed them all as soon as I got back and went for a spin to get that cleat in position.

To think back, I felt as if someone was watching over me. As I regain consciousness, a policeman came by in his car and pulled over. He immediately called for help and the ambulance arrived within minutes. Thank You for being there for me and watching me every step of the way.

I look back at why I fell while waiting at the hospital. Perhaps I could have gone into the corner at alower speed, perhaps I could have taken an inner line to avoid the gravel, but ultimately, I have done what I did and lesson learnt. Vincent reminded me that whatever it is, whenever we descend, we have to do it within our comfort zone and never put ourselves in a situation that we may fear crashing or feel out of control.

Asian Cycling Championships is in 3 weeks time. Although this fall may hamper or slow down my preparation towards ACC 2012, I will keep fighting and will not stop. Like Qiqi once told me, I may be a slow walker, but I don't walk backwards.

More to come in the days ahead. Chin up, chin up.

No comments:

Post a Comment